The Ulverscroft David Owen Award 2020 opens for applications
11 November 2019
The Royal College of Ophthalmologists is delighted to open the second Ulverscroft David Owen Award. In memory of David Owen who chaired the Ulverscroft Foundation, the College and the Foundation are offering £500 prize in recognition of high-quality research in paediatric ophthalmology.
Last year’s award went to Lola Solebo for her study into IOL implants in children with cataracts.
The Ulverscroft Foundation gives financial help to Universities which carry out research into the causes of eye diseases; funds eye clinics, hospitals, schools, libraries and other organisations which help visually impaired people.
Since 2007 it has supported the Ulverscroft Vision Research Group (UVRG) at the Great Ormond Street Institute of Child Health UCL, funding PhD studentships, clinical research training fellowships and academic posts in key disciplines including ophthalmic statistics, to build a hub for academic paediatric ophthalmology and visual sciences.
In memory of David Owen who chaired the Foundation during this period and shaped its relationship with the UVRG, the Foundation is offering in partnership with The Royal College of Ophthalmologists, an annual prize of £500 in recognition of high-quality research in paediatric ophthalmology and visual sciences to promote academic paediatric ophthalmology.
The 2020 award will be presented at the College Congress, at the ICC in Birmingham from Monday 18 to Thursday 21 May 2020. The award winner will be expected to present a short talk at the Congress to explain the impact of the research and how it has contributed to change.
- The first author and senior author should apply together.
- Either the first or lead author must be an ophthalmologist.
- At least one of the authors must be a member of the RCOphth.
- The applicants should be based and have undertaken the research reported at a British institution.
- The paper must have been published in a peer reviewed scientific journal after 1 January 2018.
Timetable for 2020 award:
- Applications open: 11 November 2019
- Applications close: 5 February 2020
- Announcement of winner: 24 February 2020
- Award made at Congress 2020 Congress Award Ceremony in Birmingham
The Royal College of Ophthalmologists’ Paediatric Sub-committee.
To apply please fill in this application form.
To find out about all our awards and prizes here.