Regional Education Advisers
Regional Education Advisers are appointed by the Council to act on behalf of the College.
Their responsibilities include:
- maintaining a College presence in the region
- being the first point of contact for College Tutors and leading the appointment process
- promoting high standards of ophthalmology in the region through training, education and research
- providing information and advice to College members who are applying for CESR
- review CESR applicants’ portfolio of evidence prior to submission to the GMC and
subsequently to the College
- assess CESR applications
- be involved in the ARCP process and have the ability to chair panels if required
- act as an external representative outside their region for LETB/Deanery and hospital visits or
ARCPs on request
One Adviser is appointed to each College region. The term of office is three years, renewable once. When a term of office is nearing its end, nominations will be sought via advertisement in College News, the College website and newsletters. Self-nominations are encouraged and the College will email all consultants in the region to bring the forthcoming vacancy to their attention.
Applicants will be required to complete a Regional Education Adviser Application Form and provide a 2 page summary CV. Application forms are to be countersigned by the Chair of the Specialty Training Committee (STC) or School Board as confirmation that the nomination has LETB/Deanery endorsement, although this is a College appointment. The summary CV must include information about the applicant’s skills & experience in training and education and focus on the skills and achievements which will equip them for the post.
Received nominations will be assessed by a panel consisting of the Chair of the Education Committee, the Chair of the Trainers Sub-committee, the Chair of the Professional Standards Committee and the Council Regional Representative from the relevant region.
If more than one nomination for a region is received, the applications will be assessed by the panel against the person specification, and the most appropriate candidate selected.
Please see flowchart for further information and read the full Job Description and Person Specification. Please complete and return the signed Application Form and CV, by email to email@example.com, or by post to:
Education and Training Department
18 Stephenson Way
For current Regional Education Advisers please see the Ophthalmic Directory .
CESR Assessor mandatory training dates:
Monday, 10 September 2018
For more information regarding CESR and CESR assessor training please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note you are only required to attend one full training day.
- Certificate of Eligibility for Specialist Registration CESR