The Education Committee of The Royal College of Ophthalmologists is currently chaired by Miss Melanie Corbett. It is made up of College Officers, the Lead Postgraduate Dean, a trainee representative, Council Members, and other Fellows of the College (by secondment).
There are several standing sub-committees and groups working under the auspices of the Education Committee. These are:
- Undergraduate and Foundation – Dr Michael Williams
- Training the Multi-Professionals – Professor Carrie MacEwen
- Awards and Scholarships Sub-committee – Professor Stephen Kaye
- Skills Sub-committee – Mr Larry Benjamin
- e-learning – Ms Rebecca Ford
- Trainers the Trainers (TTT) – Miss Rajni Jain
- Mentoring and Buddying – Mrs Sally Webber
- New Consultants – Miss Anna Maino
- CPD Sub-committee – Mr Sakkaf Aftab
- Training the GPs and other Specialties – Miss Stella Hornby
- Service Managers – Miss Louisa Wickham
Each Sub-committee or Working Party is led by a member of the Education Committee and usually has 1 to 4 members. The broad purposes of the Education Committee are:
- To ensure that the principal educational purposes of the College are fulfilled by supporting and developing programmes for undergraduate medical education, postgraduate ophthalmic training and continuing professional development.
- To thus ensure, by facilitating the acquisition of appropriate knowledge, understanding, skills, values and attitudes, that patients are treated by safe, competent doctors pursuing successful careers.
- To promote interdisciplinary education, training and teamworking among the professions in partnership in eye and vision care towards an effective multiprofessional workforce.
- To sustain the high profile and renown of UK ophthalmic education and training internationally.
Queries can be directed to the relevant Chairman through the College.