The Training Committee has a number of important functions in relation to training. These include:
- The supervision of the implementation of the curricula for all ophthalmology trainees
- Assessment of individual trainees’ record of training and formal recommendation to the General Medical Council (GMC) about the award of a Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT)
- Assessment of applications for a Certificate of Eligibility for Specialist Registration (CESR) for the GMC where a combination of both training and experience are considered when making a recommendation about suitability to be put on the Specialist Register.
- The Training Committee also has an important role in assessing recommendations for Out of Programme Training/Research, Specialist Overseas Fellowships, Trainee Selected Components (TSCs) and their role in counting towards training in regard to the award of the CCT. Final approval of the posts is decided by the GMC.
- In addition, the Training Committee provides a system of externality for Deanery ARCP panels.
There are five standing sub-committees and one faculty working under the auspices of the Training Committee. These are:
- Curriculum Sub-Committee – Miss Fiona Bishop
- Quality of Assessment sub-committee – Mrs Clare Inkster
- Evaluation of Training Sub-committee – Miss Jane Ashworth
- Recruitment Sub-committee – Miss Sarah Maling
- International Medical Graduates (IMG) Training Sub-committee – Mr Jai Shankar
- Certificate of Eligibility for Specialist Registration (CESR) Faculty – Mr Soupramanien Sandramouli
It is the responsibility of the Postgraduate Deans through the regional Specialty Training Committees (STC) to implement the curricula for trainees. An adequate infrastructure in training departments is essential to the success of training.
Programmes of training at the LETB/Deanery level are periodically assessed by formal visits from the GMC. The Training Committee is always available to give advice to trainees at all levels, although the first port of call in every case is the College Tutor, College Regional Adviser or Training Programme Director in the trainee’s LETB/Deanery (the Education and Training Department will be able to inform concerning the relevant person). An enquiry to the Training Committee should be addressed to the Chair of the Training Committee and will be treated in confidence. The Education and Training Department have put together information packs including guides and curricula and these are available on the College website and may be obtained from the Education and Training Department on request.