Membership by Examination
The College is pleased to offer a classification of Membership of the College for examination candidates who have successfully completed the Refraction Certificate and Diploma examinations, which has previously been referred to as the Diploma Plus.
The MRCOphth is a postgraduate ophthalmic qualification for doctors which assesses core ophthalmic knowledge and skills.
The benefits of Membership to candidates passing the Diploma and Refraction Certificate examinations are as follows:
- Internationally recognised post-nominals: MRCOphth
- Allows candidates the opportunity to apply to the Ophthalmic Qualifications Committee for entry to the Ophthalmic Medical Practitioner register
Please note that those holding the following historic examinations are also eligible to apply for the new classification of Membership:
Have passed both the Diploma (DRCOphth) since November 2001 AND:
- Part 2 MRCOphth (Nov 1997-Nov 2008)
- Optics and Refraction Module (May 1989 – November 1998)
- Part 2 MRCSEd (January 1997-August 2008)
- Passed the Diploma (DRCOphth) including compulsory Practical Refraction component (June 1997 – June 2001)
New Members via this route are not eligible to sit the Fellowship Assessment. Those wishing to obtain Fellowship of the College may enter the Part 2 FRCOphth examination but are still required to pass the Part 1 FRCOphth examination, in addition to the Refraction Certificate, in order to fulfil the eligibility criteria to enter the Part 2 FRCOphth examination.
Those wishing to apply for the new classification of Membership should submit their completed application form to the Examinations Department. Membership diplomas will be presented to new Members at the Admission Ceremony in September each year for which invitations are issued in early July.
If you have any further queries regarding the new classification of Membership, please contact the Examinations Department.