International sub-committee of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists
The International sub-committee of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists promotes International policies and relations within and beyond the College.
The International Sub-Committee of the Royal College of Ophthalmologists is a sub-committee of council. The Chair of the sub-committee sits on Council and reports directly to Council.
Membership of committee
- Chair – Will Dean
- College representative on the International Council of Ophthalmology (ICO)
- Vision2020 Links Programme
- Representative of ICEH/LSHTM
- European Board of Ophthalmology (EBO)
- Representative of International Medical Graduates
- Representative of the Examinations Committee
- Representative of the Education Committee
- Representative of the Training Committee
- Co-opt members as required, up to a maximum of 5 members
Length of Service of committee members
- Officers of the college – while these remain in office
- The chair/other members – 3 years in the first instance with a further term of 3 years
Frequency of meetings
- Meetings will be held twice a year to which people may audio conference if required.
Responsibilities of the committee
- To act as a conduit between the College and international organisations.
- To represent, support and communicate with overseas members and fellows.
- To support training and education of international doctors (access to exams, Congress, curriculum, skills centre, course, dual sponsorship scheme etc) as per our Charter “Further instruction in training in ophthalmology both in the United Kingdom and overseas”
- To offer support to refugee ophthalmologists.
- To facilitate and exchange information within the College on international matters.
- To advise on the College’s international policy and strategy where required.
- To work in partnership with other UK and international agencies where required to facilitate multi-disciplinary approach to overseas training and programmes.
- To assist and liaise with appropriate organisations for the development of clinical standards in under resourced countries.
- Facilitate communications, collaboration and co-ordination of College International activities in different departments.