External agencies including funding bodies
Charities that fund eye research can be found via the Association of Medical Research Charities website.
The value of the research they fund varies widely and the time to make a decision can vary considerably, possibly up to a year.
There are several charities, which regularly fund eye research. The charities listed below have a range of funding schemes ranging from small starter grants, project grants (typically up to 3 years), PhD studentships and 5 year programme grants.
- The Dunhill Medical Trust
- Retina UK
- The Macular Society
- Fight for Sight
– See infographic from Fight For Sight on research funding.
- Sight Research UK
- Sir Jules Thorn Charitable Trust
- The Wellcome Trust
Government funded research programmes are shown below. Again there are a range of grants available. In addition these organizations pay overhead payments to cover the cost of performing research to your host organization (University or Trust).
- The Medical Research Council (MRC)
- Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC)
- National Institute For Health Research
Organizations which fund PhDs for clinicians include the Wellcome Trust, The MRC and Fight for Sight.