NHS England are now seeking an Outpatients Clinical Lead for Ophthalmology to work as part of the Outpatient Transformation Programme Specialty Redesign Team to provide clinical expertise and advice regarding the redesign of patient pathways and key system enablers. The role will help to inform the strategic approach to system redesign nationally, regionally and in local systems. The successful candidate will also provide professional advice and guidance to members of the team.
The role will be on a six-month contract or will be available on secondment.
The key responsibilities of the role will include:
- Optimising referrals to ensure that patients are only referred to hospital when there is value in doing so. This will build on existing work providing specialist support to GPs (Advice & Guidance) and embedding specialist clinicians in primary care practices (First Contact Practitioners).
- Modernising how outpatient services are delivered, ensuring that the NHS has an offer of video appointments for patients when clinically appropriate. The programme will also work closely with NHSX to identify other digital enablers and promote their uptake throughout the country.
- Transforming how we book follow up appointments, building on the growing personalisation agenda by promoting the uptake of projects like personalised follow up and risk stratified follow up, which will allow patients to have more control over their ongoing care
- Leading an end-to-end pathway review of some high volume specialties, together with key national stakeholders, starting with ophthalmology. This will involve both the application of the cross-cutting initiatives described above, as well as exploring and piloting opportunities specific to that specialty.
- Applications for part time working are welcomed, as the role is likely to be shared to ensure the breadth of expertise.
- Shortlisting will be completed within one week of the advert closing, with interviews taking place during the following fortnight (i.e. within 3 weeks of the advert close date).
- Candidates invited to interview will be asked to give a 5 minute presentation.
- Applications will close at midnight 07/04/2020
You can read the full job description here.