The 2018 Clinical Excellence Awards Round results were announced in early January 2019. The Advisory Committee on Clinical Excellence Awards (ACCEA) have now announced that the 2019 round will open on Thursday, 7 February 2019 and will close at 1700 hours on Thursday, 4 April 2019.
Consultants in England and Wales who wish to apply for a National Award are advised to begin preparations now. For reference, the 2018 application guide is available on the ACCEA website and on the Membership page of the RCOphth website.
Emails will be sent to all Consultants in England and Wales shortly with this year’s application details.
The Awards remain extremely competitive and the College, as a Nominating Body, is only permitted to support a very limited number of applications in each category. If you are unsuccessful in obtaining College support you should not be discouraged from making an application as those with strong Trust support have been successful in previous years.
The message is again stark:
- Competition for awards is fierce
- The College can only support a limited number of applications and, to date, requests for support has always exceeded our quota
- All domains should be completed
- Final decisions are made by non-ophthalmologists and applicants should avoid jargon
- It is up to you to ask a colleague to provide a citation for you should you be successful in gaining College support
- The ACCEA intends to publish successful applications (personal details to be redacted) in future.
Applicants who wish to apply for College support MUST submit their application to [email protected] to be received by 0900 hours on Tuesday, 26 February 2019 at the latest.
Please note – ophthalmologists in part-time NHS posts can apply for clinical excellence awards.