Visit COVID-19 resources

[Skip to Content]

SAS Training and CESR

SAS doctors need training and development opportunities to keep up to date and progress.

They should access not only ophthalmic training such as regional study days and RCOphth seminars and Congress, but also a wider range of training such as management and leadership, teaching and clinical governance.

The rights of SAS doctors are described in the SAS charters and include:

  • Access to a study leave budget for CPD and development needs
  • Access to the SAS Development Funding, which is in addition to any existing study leave funding to meet CPD, CME, revalidation and training needs.  £12 million of recurrent funding was made available by the Department of Health in 2008 to support the development of SAS grade doctors and dentists working in Trusts
  • In England, you can contact your trust’s SAS Tutor who manages the trust’s SAS Development Funding allocation, to discuss your training needs. Your HR department will be able to put you in touch with your SAS Tutor
  • The Associate Deans for SAS doctors, who should have been appointed in every deanery, should also be able to assist
  • All SAS doctors should have at least one SPA for activities including training and development

The specialist register is a list of doctors who are legally entitled to take up honorary, substantive or fixed term consultant posts in the NHS and is maintained by the General Medical Council (GMC). Doctors are included on the Specialist Register after they have been awarded either a Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) or a Certification of Eligibility for Specialist Registration (CESR).

The  CESR allows doctors who have not completed a UK specialist training programme, and have a combination of qualifications and/or training and experience gained anywhere in the world, to be evaluated as part of an application for entry to the GMC Specialist Register. It was previously known as article 14. Approximately 33% of SAS doctors in all specialties aim to become consultants by applying for CESR. The CESR application process is currently managed by the GMC and is available online.

If you are interested in Medical Ophthalmology you need to contact The Royal College of Physicians (JRCPTB) as they assess applications for medical ophthalmology.

See here for more advice and also see

Want more information?