As a member of The Royal College of Ophthalmologists, you will get access to a host of benefits (where eligible) such as the resources of the American Academy of Ophthalmology and our scientific journal Eye.
The College is a professional body that supports its members throughout their careers. We offer a variety of benefits to support your professional career including education programmes, standards, guidelines and resources in delivery of ophthalmic service design. Belonging to the College strengthens its ability to act on behalf of all Ophthalmologists, as well as eye care professionals working as part of the multidisciplinary team.
As a qualified member of the College, you are entitled to use internationally recognised postnominals. This demonstrates your professionalism.
- Access at no extra cost to the American Academy of Ophthalmology ONE Network.
- Access to Inspire for life-long learning anywhere at anytime
- Publications exclusive to members, including Eye
- College News, your quarterly membership magazine
- Access to Eye logbook, the e-portfolio and workplace-based assessments
- CPD resources
Opportunities to help shape the future of ophthalmology
- Standing for College officer and Honorary officer positions which include membership of the Trustee Board and Council and to vote in all College elections (Fellows only)
- Joining one of the College’s speciality committees
- Standing as a Regional Representative of Council
- Acting as an examiner for the College
- Involvement in writing standards and guidelines
- Becoming a College representative on an advisory appointments committee
- Becoming a College representative on outside bodies or organisations.
Discounts and services
Members pay a reduced fee to attend RCOphth’s Annual Congress which includes a full scientific and social programme.
- Members pay reduced fees for seminars
- TOTUM – TOTUM PRO, is a bespoke discount card catering specifically to professional learners and all members of professional organisations. Members will be able to benefit from a whole host of exclusive discounts.
- Lifestyle Rewards – The RCOphth has partnered with Lifestyle Rewards Limited to provide a wide range of top branded luxury products, services and experiences at preferential rates for our members.
- Up to 12 months’ free membership for members on parental leave
- Tax relief on annual subscriptions (UK taxpayers only).
Discounted rates to use the meeting facilities are available and we are conveniently located at 18 Stephenson Way in Central London, a short walk from a variety of underground and national rail stations.
The bespoke meeting and seminar spaces for hire at The Royal College of Ophthalmologists include a highly specialised skills training centre, a lecture theatre and boardroom spaces.
Scholarships, awards and prizes
Each year, the RCOphth offers a generous number of scholarships, travel awards and clinical/research fellowships in partnership with other organisations. These cover a wide variety of areas, from specialist research, to help with funding electives for undergraduates. In addition, we support members applying for national clinical excellence awards (CEA).
Apply for a scholarship, award or prize