We are recruiting for a new Vice President
14 October 2021
The Vice President of The Royal College of Ophthalmologists is a pivotal role with a wide portfolio of responsibilities. As Vice President, you will work closely with the President to advocate for the RCOphth as a membership body, fulfilling its purpose in supporting the needs of members to make a sustainable difference to the profession and patient care.
You will be supporting the development and implementation of RCOphth strategic priorities that raise awareness of the role ophthalmology plays in saving the sight of the nation and promoting the profession as the largest out-patient specialty in the NHS, effectively delivering innovative practice and high quality standards of patient care.
You will be expected to develop robust relationships both internally with College Officers and staff, as well as externally with policy and legislative bodies within the healthcare system. This role is varied with an emphasis on stakeholder management and an interest in the development of policy to support evidence based workforce and strategic priorities.
Working with a range of internal and external stakeholders, they act as an advocate for College-wide communications and policy at Trustee and Council level to support a joined-up and strategic approach. This includes:
- Acting as an ambassador for RCOphth, promoting its role as the voice of the profession to ophthalmologists, other medical and healthcare professionals and key policy decision makers
- Advising on and participating in a coherent engagement strategy with health, workforce, commissioning, legislative and policy stakeholders: government, Department of Health & Social Care, ICS, four nations health organisations (eg NHS England), arms’ length bodies (eg Health Education England), other eye health related professional bodies and charities
- Liaising with key RCOphth staff on a strategic communications and policy strategy.
Please note that the title of this role has changed from VP, Policy & Communications to Vice President.
- Vice President Job Description FINAL
- Application form Vice President
- RCOphth Declaration of Interest Form 2021
Closing date: Applications are invited by Friday 5 November 2021, 12noon.
Completed forms should be sent via email to [email protected].
Interview date: Thursday 13 January.
To be held in person at the College.
More information about the Vice President role
If you would like further information on the role, please get in touch by email to: [email protected] to arrange to speak with Bernie Chang, President or Declan Flanagan, Vice President Policy & Communications.
Other useful information
- Our Policy Priorities: Our policy work emerges through consultation with members and partners in the eye health sector, including The College of Optometrists and private sector organisations.
- Profile of the current Vice President Policy & Communications, Declan Flanagan
- Governance: including information about the Trustee Board and Council, the Terms of Reference for the College’s Trustee board and information about the standing committees.