Child vision screening resources consultation
16 March 2017
The UK National Screening Committee (UK NSC) recommends school-entry screening for vision problems. Until now, however, no national resources have existed to support local authorities in commissioning and delivering high quality, consistent services.
Public Health England (PHE) therefore convened a vision screening group to produce and disseminate such materials and have now released a consultation seeking views on these.
The consultation is open for six weeks and the closes on 25 April 2017 at 9.30am.
The resource materials are available to view and include:
- screening pathway
- information for teachers and children
- parent information pre-screening
- parent information post-screening
- diagnostic pathway*
- service specification
- screener competencies
- learning and assessment pathway
* The Royal College of Ophthalmologists developed the diagnostic pathway. It is included as part of the consultation with their permission.
PHE welcomes all comments on all or some of the draft materials, particularly if there are any mistakes, missing information or considerations, or other useful resources.
Responses can be sent to the vision screening group’s secretariat at email@example.com
Submissions will be published and responded to by the summer. Please inform PHE if you do not wish your response to be available publicly.